聯繫:

#1 [轉載] [翻譯]Photos of Furries in Their Natural Habitat 攝影自然棲地中的毛毛

文章 狐鬼瀟湘 » 2022年 5月 5日, 00:34

偶然看見這篇文章:https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dgvjk/ ... -broadbent
看起來是圈外攝影師與圈外記者,就以毛裝扮演者為主題的攝影集的訪談對答,
或許是因為這樣,文字脈絡中明顯混淆了獸迷與毛毛。
不過內容透漏了英國一些鄉紳獸迷的生活,覺得有趣,翻譯後分享。
圖檔
XAVIER FOX AND TAMURA, AN AMUR LEOPARD, WORK OUT THE BEST LOCATION FOR THEIR PHOTOSHOOT. FROM TOM BROADBENT'S NEW BOOK, AT HOME WITH XAVIER FOX.
Xavier Fox 和遠東豹 Tamura 為拍攝照片選定地點。摘自 Tom Broadbent 的新書《與 Xavier Fox 共度居家時光》

Photos of Furries in Their Natural Habitat
攝影自然棲地中的毛毛
Photographer Tom Broadbent has spent over a decade getting to know the furry fandom in the UK.
攝影師 Tom Broadbent 花了十多年的時間認識英國獸迷。
By Hatti Rex / May 3, 2022, 4:15pm
作者 Hatti Rex / 二〇二二年五月三日 下午四點十五分

Furries, fursuits and fursonas have been around as long as the internet has existed. The official birthday of the internet, January 1st 1983, coincides with the decade a group of US sci-fi convention guests bonded over their mutual love of anthropomorphic animals, initiating a fandom that would grow exponentially over the following decades. Decades on, furries have marked their territory across all corners of the web – they’re uploading comics to DeviantArt, selling DIY accessories on Etsy and even starting their own anti-fascist groups targeting the alt-right. At this point, any given piece of Twitter discourse isn’t truly legitimate without a fursona account interjecting.

網路存在,獸迷、獸裝與獸設無所不在。網際網路的官方生日是一九八三年一月一日,而在同一個十年裡,一群參加美國科幻大會的人認知到彼此對擬人動物的熱愛,因而結為團體;接下來幾個十年裡,愛好者團體人數以指數級增長。幾十年來,獸迷已在網路的各個角落標記了他們的領地——他們將漫畫上傳到 DeviantArt、在 Etsy 上銷售 DIY 零件,甚至成立了自己的反法西斯團體以對抗另類右派。就這點而言,任何一段 Twitter 論戰要是沒有那些有獸設的帳號穿插其中,就顯得不合常理。

Photographer Tom Broadbent isn’t a furry himself, but he has enjoyed getting to know the humans behind the masks for the last 14 years. After forming a trusting bond with this often misrepresented community, his 2018 photography book At Home With The Furries gave readers a rare peek into the ordinary domestic lives of the individuals who just so happen to like occasionally dressing up like a dog, a cat, or a dragon.

攝影師 Tom Broadbent 本人並非獸迷,但過去十四年間,他一直樂於了解這些面具後的人。在與這個經常受到誤解的社群建立信任關係後,他二〇一八年的攝影集《與獸迷共度居家時光》提供讀者罕見的機會,能瞥見那些適巧著迷於偶爾打扮成狗、貓或龍的人的日常居家生活。

His latest collection, At Home With Xavier Fox, follows the life of a motorsports-loving red fox from Essex with a keen eye for late 90s Japanese supercars. We caught up with Tom to get the story straight from the horse’s mouth.

他的最新系列作《與 Xavier Fox 共度居家時光》講述了一位來自艾色克斯、熱愛賽車,有雙專攻日本九十年代後期超級跑車慧眼的赤狐的生活。我們聯絡上了 Tom,得到第一手消息。

圖檔
FANGORN, A JEDI TIGER AT HOME IN SWANSEA. FROM THE BOOK, 'AT HOME WITH THE FURRIES'.
FANGORN,一隻住在斯萬西的絕地虎。摘自《與獸迷共度居家時光》。

VICE: Hi Tom! When did you first discover furries?
Tom Broadbent
: In 2008, I first met the furries through an event in London called RBW – Rather Brilliant Weekend – at a hotel in Bloomsbury. At the time, I was doing a shoot for a magazine, had just got out of the cab with my camera and saw a six foot wolf entering the hotel foyer, and I was transfixed! I couldn’t believe it. I’d read about the furries, I knew they dressed as characters that they created themselves, but seeing it in person was extraordinary.

VICE:嗨,Tom!您第一次發現獸迷,是什麼時候的事?
Tom Broadbent:
二〇〇八年,我第一次見到獸迷是在倫敦的一個名為 RBW——Rather Brilliant Weekend(相當精彩的周末)——的活動裡,那是在布隆伯利的一家飯店。當時我正在為雜誌拍照,才剛從計程車裡拿出相機,就看到一頭六英尺約 182.88 公分高的狼進入酒店大廳,我整個人嚇到呆掉!我真不敢相信。我以前就讀過關於獸迷的書,我知道他們打扮成他們自己創造的角色,但親眼看到還是不同凡響。

As I went around taking portraits, I was meeting all these furries and asking them for permission to take their photo, about their character names and costumes and it really opened a door. It was just a great feeling. A lot of people were being daft, and a bit silly, and people would get away with acting out funny things in costumes that maybe you wouldn't if you weren't wearing one. I saw these people I thought, ‘This is just a great community’.

當我四處拍照時,我拜訪所有在那裡的獸迷,問他們我能不能拍他們的照片,還有關於他們的角色名稱和服裝,這真的開了一扇門。這真是一種很棒的感覺。很多人都變得瘋瘋癲癲的,還有點傻裡傻氣,人們會穿著特製服裝做著有趣的表演,如果你不穿的話,大概不會那樣做。我看著這些人,覺得:「這真是一個偉大的社群」。

圖檔
XAVIER FOX CHECKS THE TYRE PRESSURE OF A NISSAN GT-R R34 AT HIS GARAGE IN ESSEX. TAKEN FROM THE BOOK, 'AT HOME WITH XAVIER FOX'.
XAVIER FOX 在他位於艾色克斯的車庫裡檢查日產 GT-R R34 的輪胎壓力。摘自《與 XAVIER FOX 共度居家時光》。

What inspired you to continue documenting them?
I thought: ‘There's probably another project here beyond the terrible hotel carpets, but I just wonder what it could be, maybe I could photograph them at home?’ That set a seed in motion, and it was just a case of gaining people’s trust enough to allow me to photograph them at home. It took a good year of attending furry meets, which would happen roughly every three weeks, and just getting to know people.

是什麼促使您繼續記錄他們?
我那時想:「除了糟糕透頂的酒店地毯,這裡可能還有另一個值得著手的攝影計畫,細節還不確定,不過也許我可以在家裡幫他們拍照?」原文未說明是在那一方家裡,參照上下文,應是在被攝影的獸迷家中。這就是事情的開始,起初只是設法獲得信賴,直到足以讓他們同意我在家裡為他們拍照。參加獸迷聚會花了一整年時間,大概每三週就有一回,而我總在認識人。

One thing I did start to notice at the time, the way the furries were being portrayed in mainstream media was very unpleasant and unfair. I wanted my project to right some wrongs and show that actually, this is a great bunch of people doing really creative things.

當時我確實開始注意到,主流媒體對獸迷的描繪方式既令人非常不快更毫無公正可言。我希望我的攝影計畫能糾正一些錯誤,並確實呈現:這是一大群人,一起做著很有創意的事。

Why do you think people are so drawn to fursonas?
There are loads of reasons. Some people come to it through roleplay, through artwork, but really it’s about meeting up and having a connection. My project looks at the more visual aspect – the fursuiters – but it’s not really about that per se. It’s about the idea of joy. It took me a long time to realise that’s what this work is about – but the furry community is about joy, really.

您覺得人們為何會對獸裝如此著迷?
很多原因。有些人接觸到獸裝是透過角色扮演,或著透過藝術作品,但實際上這關乎相聚與交際。我的計畫著眼於更視覺的方面——毛裝——但這無關要旨。要旨是關於喜悅的意念。我花了很長時間才察覺到,這就是這項工作的意義——獸迷社群關乎喜悅,確切無疑。

圖檔
ZUKI, A GARGOYLE WHO LIVES IN MILTON KEYNES AND WORKS IN IT. ZUKI OWNS A FEW SUITS, THE GARGOYLE IS JUST ONE OF THEM.
ZUKI,住在米爾頓凱恩斯並在彼工作的石像鬼。ZUKI 擁有數套獸裝,石像鬼是其中之一。

As you’ve been around the furry community for over a decade now, have you seen it grow or change at all? Or is the beauty of the community that it stays more or less the same?
It's definitely changed, like any community changes over the years. There's no doubt that conventions like Confuzzled, which is Birmingham in May, are expecting their highest turnouts after the pandemic. In the States, it's really exploded in popularity. There's two really big conventions, one in Pittsburgh called AnthroCon and Midwest FurFest in Illinois have now gotten attendees upwards of 10,000. As time goes on, it becomes more popular. I think the demographics changed too. There's a lot more younger people doing it.

您已經在獸迷社群活動了十多年,就您經驗,它有沒有成長或變化?還是社群的美好或多或少保持不變?
肯定有變化,就像所有社群在這些年裡的變化。毫無疑問,像是 Confuzzled 這樣的大會——五月份在伯明翰舉行——預計會在疫情大流行後達到最高參加人數。 在美國,它真的很受歡迎。有兩個非常大的聚會,在匹茲堡的 AnthroCon 和在伊利諾伊州的 Midwest FurFest 現在已經吸引了超過一萬名參加者。隨著時間的推移,它變得越來越流行。我認為人口結構也發生了變化。有更多年輕人加入。

You’ve already touched on media misconceptions, but does your work give people who aren't furries a chance to realise that people involved in this subculture aren't somehow a threat?
My work was featured in The Sunday Times in 2013, and the reason I bring that up is because I had a number of furries drop me a line afterwards to talk about how it can’t be that weird if it was featured in The Sunday Times magazine, and how it gave them the confidence to go to their very first furry meet and make some friends. That really pulls at the heartstrings. It does normalise it, but I would never describe furries as a threat, it’s just people having fun over a shared interest.

您剛剛談及媒體的誤解,您的作品是否會讓非獸迷有機會意識到:參與這種亞文化的人在某種程度上不是威脅?
二〇一三年,我的作品刊登在《星期日泰晤士報》上,我提出這個問題的原因是後來有很多獸迷給我留言,說如果它出現在《星期日泰晤士報雜誌》上看起來比較不會那麼奇怪,以及這報導如何讓他們有信心參加他們的第一次獸迷見面會並結交一些朋友。這真的扣人心弦。報導確實使它趨於尋常,而我永遠不會將獸迷描述為一種威脅,這只是志趣相投的人在同樂。

圖檔
EDWARD FUZZYPAWS, A POODLE, SHARES A MOMENT WITH TEDDY, A LABRADOODLE, IN RICHMOND, SOUTH WEST LONDON.
EDWARD FUZZYPAWS,一隻貴賓犬,在倫敦西南部的里奇蒙,與一隻拉布拉多犬泰迪共享片刻時光。

How did you first meet the subject of your new book, Xavier Fox?
He’s a friend and a supporter. I first met him at a London furmeet, and he did my first book launch with me at The Photobook Café, where my next launch will be. He wasn’t in the first book but he came along in costume, and it was a really special night because, like with some of my other exhibitions, the furries come down in costume and really bring the work to life.

您是如何與您新書的主題 Xavier Fox 相識的?
他是朋友,也是支持者。我第一次見到他是在倫敦的一次獸聚上,他和我一起在 The Photobook Café 舉辦了我第一本書的發布會,我下一次發布會也將在那裡舉行。他沒在第一本書裡登場,但他穿著獸裝出現在會場,那是一個非常特別的夜晚,因為就像我的一些其他的展覽,獸迷穿著獸裝蒞臨,這真的能讓作品活過來。

What makes Xavier so distinctive – I’ve seen from his Instagram that he likes cars?
He's just such an amazing character, really creative. I really wanted to show a rounded picture of who his character is, including the fact that he spends a lot of time running a business ,which does a lot of really good things including transporting kids with special needs. It’s focusing on his identity and his wonderful outlook on life. But it's also about cars.

是什麼讓 Xavier 如此與眾不同——我從他的 Instagram 上看到他喜歡汽車?
他真是一個了不起的人物,非常有創意。我真的很想好好展示他到底是什麼人,包括他花了很多時間經營一家企業,做了很多真正的好事,包括運送有特殊需求的孩子。他專注於他的身份和他美好的人生觀。不過這確實也和汽車有關。

圖檔
FERNE, A FENNEC FOX, AND XAVIER FOX SHARE A MOMENT NEXT TO THEIR PARKED MCLARENS IN ESSEX.
FERNE、FENNEC FOX 和 XAVIER FOX 在艾色克斯於停放的麥拉倫車旁分享片刻時光。

I did a talk at The Royal Photographic Society last month about the new book, and whilst I was there I spoke about meeting the furries at Confuzzled in 2019, there was a separate car park full of high performance cars and Xavier had one of his incredibly overpowered Nissan GTRs, this Fast and Furious type car. There’s a subsection of furries called the Motor Furs, and it’s all furries who really like cars. One thing Xavier does, twice a year, is hire a race track for them to drive on and around 30-40 furries show up – not all of them driving, of course.

上個月我在皇家攝影協會就這本新書發表演講,那時我談到了二〇一九年在 Confuzzled 與獸迷會面,那裡有個單獨的停車場,裡面停滿了高性能汽車,Xavier 就在其中,他有一輛令人難以置信的日產 GTR,是那種《玩命關頭》型的汽車。有個被稱為 Motor Furs 的獸迷小圈圈,成員都是真正熱愛汽車的獸迷。 Xavier 每年兩次租用一條賽道供他們駕駛,然後出現大約三十到四十位獸迷——當然,不是每個人都在駕駛。

There are a lot of furries who are very generous, and doing a lot for the community and they're not looking to get anything back. “You put a big smile on someone's face,” Xavier told me. “You can see their genuine excitement. It's a very rewarding thing to do.”

有很多獸迷非常慷慨,為社群做了很多事情,而且不求回報。「你讓某人臉上露出燦爛的笑容,」Xavier 告訴我。「你可以看到他們真的為此興奮。這是很有回報的事。」

At Home With Xavier Fox is out on 5th May with a launch at The Photobook Café.

《與 Xavier Fox 共度居家時光》將於五月五日在 The Photobook Café 推出

圖檔
ZEPP, A DRAGON FROM HEMEL HEMPSTEAD, GETS CREATIVE WITH THE WATERCOLOURS.
ZEPP,來自赫默爾亨普斯特德的龍,在水彩畫中發揮創意。

圖檔
TAMURA, AN AMUR LEOPARD AND PRISM, A CABBIT LEAD THE WAY IN THEIR MORGAN 3-WHEELERS WITH XAVIER FOX AND MANGO WOLF FOLLOWING BEHIND.
遠東豹 TAMURA 和卡比特 PRISM 在他們的摩根三輪車中領先,XAVIER FOX 和 MANGO WOLF 緊隨其後。

圖檔
SYRRUS THE FOX AND LUPESTRIPE THE WOLF HAVING A BARBECUE AT HOME IN LEEDS.
狐狸 SYRRUS 和狼 LUPESTRIPE 在位於里兹的家中燒烤。

圖檔
ZEPP, A DRAGON FROM HEMEL HEMPSTEAD, MOWING THE LAWN.
ZEPP,來自赫默爾亨普斯特德的龍,正在修剪草坪。
Omnia vanitas omnia licere.

回覆文章

加入會員或登入帳號以參加討論

您需要成為會員才能回文

加入會員

歡迎加入野邦,一片獸迷得以暢所欲言、自由發夢的天地
提供不受演算法干擾的文章顯示、無限的網路空間
以及寬容的環境

註冊

登入帳號

誰在線上